"Downtown" hand-painted Town Bag
LIMITED PREORDER! ONLY A FEW LEFT!
The storm-damage repairs to Bob's studio are now complete, and once he had access again, he was eager to continue this black-and-white series! So we're making a limited number available for preorder.
- Your card will be charged when your order is placed.
- Allow 2-4 weeks for your bag to be painted and shipped.
- No special requests or cancellations. All sales are final.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If there are other items in your order, the entire order will be held and shipped together at the time that your Downtown is ready. If you need the other items to ship separately, you’ll need to place a separate order for them.
. . .
For all the years I've been designing and producing plain canvas bags, I've been trying to convince my artist husband, Bob Bechtol, to treat some of them like, well, a canvas. Finally at the start of the year, he got inspired and spent a few weeks holed up in his studio with some of our natural canvas Town Bags. The result blew my mind!
Each of these bags is a one-of-a-kind piece of usable art. The photos here are of only a select few from different angles, showing the range of variety you should expect, but they all have some factors in common. Each is richly layered with paint in a manner that brings to mind everything from graffiti to walls of peeling playbills or billboards, which is why we're calling them the Downtown Bag. While the application varies from one to the next, they all are a mix of scrapes, splatters, dots, "bars" and stripes. The first edition was in a palette of colors from the warm side of the color wheel — yellows, oranges, reds and pinks — plus lots of black and white. The current edition is all blacks, whites, greys and the natural tones of the canvas and warmer waxed canvas beneath.
They are funky, unpredictable and unlike anything we've done before. And you will not know which one you'll get!
- There may or may not be paint on the handles and cords
- Some paint will have bled through to the inside of the bag, so it's a party on the inside too!
- It may smell like paint for a bit!
- The paint makes the bag stiffer and sturdier than a plain Town Bag, but it will soften and take on its own patina with use
- As such, they will resist being pulled very far closed with the drawcord
- And again, you will not know which one you'll get (it will loosely resemble those pictured), so please only order if you find that thrilling!
- Sales are final